Greece has over 200 inhabited islands. Some are very popular, like Santorini, Mykonos, and Crete where millions of visitors will rush every summer, to enjoy the beautiful beach, warm sand and amazing food.
There are also some less popular islands that will offer you the same beach and food but with the added bonus of less tourist. One of those island is Kea.
Kea is a small Greek island about an hour by ferry from Lavrio and the price, both ways, is around 25 euros. It is the closest of the Cycladic islands to Athens, which makes it very popular with Athenians looking for a weekend getaway.
Although it is a Cycladic island, Kea doesn’t have the little whitewashed houses and blue-domed churches, but it is characterized by earthy tones and elegant architecture.
This island is very small and if you rent a car, it will take you about 2 hours to drive around it.
Things To Do
- Relax on one of the beautiful beaches. Kea has 17 popular beaches that can cater for every taste. From remote and quiet beaches like Orkos, Xyla, Spathi beach to organized with tourist facilities and even water sports like Koundoros, Korissia and Otzia beach.
- Go for a hike. Kea is well known for having one of the best walking paths and trails of any Greek island.
- Visit Ioulis (or Ioulida) the capital of Kea. A small village at 317 metres altitude and 600 inhabitants. There you can visit the archaeological museum, a prehistorical stone lion and a Venetian castle. It is also very pleasant to just stroll along its cobbled streets.
- Visit Ancient Karthea the most important of the four city-states of Kea in the antiquity.
- Have a nice cocktail at Vourkari and watch the beautiful sunset.
- Have fun with water sports at Koundoros beach.
- And finally, if you are a certified scuba diver, book a dive to see the ship Wreck of Patris.
Those a just some of the activities that you can do in Kea. A small but full, a place to discover during your holidays.